brynnmck: (beyond hope)
[personal profile] brynnmck
I am really, really hoping for more online time soon (and I realized that I have a bunch of comments I never responded to for "Turnabout," primarily because I am a bad and forgetful person, but I will be doing that soon, and then everyone will be all, "WTF?! I had totally forgotten that I commented on this fic," but I can't not respond, because... well... people saying nice things!), but for now, I just have a few questions, comments, and pimpings for you.

First of all, if, hypothetically speaking, a fangirl was planning a one-day trip to Vancouver, would anyone out there have any ideas as to where the best chance would be to stalk run into certain stars of certain sci-fi television shows that might film in the area? Hypothetically speaking.

Also, allow me to pimp [livejournal.com profile] danceswithwords' analysis of the latest episode of BSG (that would be "Pegasus" - 2x10). I always enjoy her meta, but she really surpassed herself with this one. My own commentary, if it ever materializes, will have to wait until I've seen the ep at least once more; right now I'm having trouble getting past "!!!!!" and "OMG JANUARY?!?!" I will say, though, that Katee Sackhoff and Mary McDonnell both looked particularly stunning in this episode. Apparently dying agrees with Roslin. Though she is NOT DYING LALALA I STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU.

I'd also like to introduce you all to [livejournal.com profile] thesocialnorm, who has the dubious honor of being the fourth male to grace my flist (that I know of). One of my first fannish friends, my erstwhile beta (back when I wrote fic with, you know, actual plot), and an excellent writer, he wrote/writes under the pen name "Nevermore," and he was recently sucked into the vortex of LJ. And he's looking for BSG fic recs, and most of mine are of the shippy variety, and that is not quite so much his bag, I think. So I put it to you, the flist: any good gen recs? Well-written, with plot, maybe? I can't think of anything besides Rheanna's "Twelve," and he's already read that, but I thought you well-read folk might have a few ideas for me to pass along to him. And you should check out his fic, too, while you're at it--he writes in a variety of fandoms, consistently quality stuff, and I'm very glad to see him here.

Hey, [livejournal.com profile] queenofthorns: I'm finally about halfway through The Bloody Field, and who could read this and not be in love with Hotspur? Damn. I'm thoroughly enjoying this, even as I realize how thoroughly Shakespeare played fast and loose with history, as he was wont to do. :) Pargeter's style is as lovely as I remember it. Thank you for the recommendation! It's good to read something that's not Harry Potter or Nora Roberts. :)

I hear that there's this movie coming out on Friday... "Sernity"? By some "Josh Whedon" guy? Perhaps I will have to check this out. ;) [livejournal.com profile] sdwolfpup is bribing people to go over in her LJ, so you should go check it out, because hey--good movie and good stuff from SDW! It's a win-win!

And finally, some Shakespeare for you:

Princes and counties! Surely, a princely testimony, a goodly count, Count Comfect; a sweet gallant, surely! O that I were a man for his sake! or that I had any friend would be a man for my sake! But manhood is melted into courtesies, valour into compliment, and men are only turned into tongue, and trim ones too: he is now as valiant as Hercules that only tells a lie and swears it. I cannot be a man with wishing, therefore I will die a woman with grieving.


Love me! why, it must be requited. I hear how I am censured: they say I will bear myself proudly, if I perceive the love come from her; they say too that she will rather die than give any sign of affection. I did never think to marry: I must not seem proud: happy are they that hear their detractions and can put them to mending. They say the lady is fair; 'tis a truth, I can bear them witness; and virtuous; 'tis so, I cannot reprove it; and wise, but for loving me; by my troth, it is no addition to her wit, nor no great argument of her folly, for I will be horribly in love with her. I may chance have some odd quirks and remnants of wit broken on me, because I have railed so long against marriage: but doth not the appetite alter? a man loves the meat in his youth that he cannot endure in his age. Shall quips and sentences and these paper bullets of the brain awe a man from the career of his humour? No, the world must be peopled. When I said I would die a bachelor, I did not think I should live till I were married.

I'd forgotten how much Beatrice and Benedick speak in prose.

Is it possible that I could wake up tomorrow and be back in college, and going to my Shakespeare class?

No?

Sigh.

June 2014

S M T W T F S
12 34567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 28th, 2026 06:22 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios